Penny for Your Philosophical Thoughts?
Welcome to the CSUN Student Philosophy Society Blog. This the site devoted to those of us who will sink so low as to blog for philosophy. If you are one of those people , do us a favor and sign up to be a contributor. We would love to hear anything you have to say, even if it is via the internet. Oh, and if you have shame, you can feel free to just leave comments. We know you have a reputation to live up to.

Remember, we did it all for the philosophy.

Much Love,
The Student Philosophy Society.
Cal State University, Northridge.

Note: If you do not have an internet connection, submissions are also accepted through the thinking power of thought. Be aware, these submissions will only be viewable through the thinking power of thought.


Request An Invite:
Jes
Tim


Guidelines:
The SPS blogspot is a space we like to keep casual and supportive. Do us a favor, and remember what your mother told you:
If you don't have something nice to say, there is an entire internet out there waiting for you to make an ass out of yourself. Go there.
Also, make that face long enough, it'll stay that way.
-SPS

Links:
The SPS official Web Site.
They disavow any affiliation.

Cal State Northridge Philosophy Home Page.
They deny our existence.

BLOG IT, Y0
Sign In

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Signed, Your Trepidatious Representative

Just wanted to banter a few ideas about with everyone, offer them for your perusal. I've been a features writer for a (arch-conservative) local newspaper for a few months now, and I've been asked to write a column on "the relevance of classical studies like philosophy on 'today's world'." If I had a nickel... Anyway, I'm considering a rather inflammatory approach, and wondered if any of you might have any recommendations- I've never been asked to be a formal representative of my esteemed colleagues, teachers and their Gordian body of thought and history in general, after all. I'm thinking of a "if you studied philosophy, you'd know..." format including the abortion debate not being about life, but either personhood or individual freedom; creationism and evolution being compatible, and neither being logically able to give an account of First Cause; religious problems with the existence of evil; inadequate ethical systems- read relativist- leading to colonialism, as the cause of modern political conflicts; and issues of existential freedom and absurdity in recent films; among others. Anything I have a representative responsibility to mention? :)

2 Comments:

Blogger jes said...

I haven't been ignorin you, but I am at a loss. You smart. Me Tarzan. catch my drift? : )

5:17 PM  
Blogger mel mel said...

Brenna,

I would think the ideas you suggested (other than "inflammatory") are good ones. Studying Philosophy, for me, has not been just about the philosophical theories learned, dissected, analyzed to death, etc. Though I thought I was broadminded before starting up with philosophy studies, I've become even MORE open-minded towards the world I live in. I now can encourage others to look at something not JUST from their point of view, but also for them to realize each individual has a "point" from which they're experiencing something and therefore there is more than ONE side to a situation.

The Cave Analogy can be used in so many different ways. I'm currently taking a Business Ethics class from Dennis Brandon and he tells the most wonderful stories! Because he's dealing with 99% business majors (I think there are only two of the 30 students who are phil majors and I'm one of them!) his stories often don't "wreak" of philosophical jargon; but when he reaches the point of the story--the little light bulb goes off over my head and I chuckle, realizing he's just used a new to me metaphor for "The Cave" or some other philosophical process.

So, if you want to run the gist of an article by us here on the Blog (like Jes has done with her Daily Sundial articles), feel free! :) I think it's a great idea! AND--the American Philosophical Association (APA) recently started a new committee--The Committee for Promoting Philosophy to the Public (or something along that line).

Thanks for posting!

Best,

Mel Mel
(Melanie Teller)

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home